Saturday, January 7, 2012

Resuming the Semblance of Normalcy

Whew.

While the Holiday Season is a wonderfully busy break from reality, I am always secretly glad when January rolls around and life proceeds with its regularly scheduled programming.

  • The tree and decorations are packed away.
  • The kids have purged old toys and made room for the new ones.
  • School started again, and both hubby and I went back to work.

Predictable is nice.  I like predictable.  I like knowing what is supposed to happen on any given day.

But (there is always a but when I write, isn't there. *sigh* )  But, having a schedule makes me feel guilty for missing two, or maybe even three, Finished-Object Fridays when I promised to keep to the schedule.   Well, whatever.  New year, new goals and all that.

Besides, it was so busy around here that not a lot of actual finishing got done anyway. (excuses, excuses)

Back to Christmas.  I received a wonderful book by Doris Chan called Everyday Crochet.  This is a great study in garment construction without sewing in sleeves.  I personally hate to sew in sweater sleeves, because it leaves such an ugly seam line.  Or perhaps I just suck at seaming.  Either way, Doris' approach is to make sweaters from the top-down, raglan-style, eliminating the need to attach sleeves at the end.  Love it!  I have not decided which sweater to try first, but you loyal readers will be the first to know.

I also received a subscription to Interweave Crochet Magazine, which is probably the best crochet publication out there in my opinion.  They strive to provide trendy patterns, not the icky boxy stuff from days of yore.  The Fall 2011 issue has a child sweater that I'm making for my daughter.  Today I hope to finish the last sleeve, and then I'll post pictures.  While Doris Chan didn't design this sweater, it's raglan-style too.

Hope you all had a joyous Holiday Season!

No comments:

Post a Comment