Saturday, January 14, 2012

January Block of the Month + a Sample

If you haven't signed up for the free Quilt Block of the Month workshop through Craftsy.com, go do it now!  I'll wait here.

*humming along to some elevator muzak in my head*

Good.  Cross that one off your to-do list.  Today I selected fabrics and made January's blocks.   The fabric is all stuff from my stash and it's a mix of many different lines and designers, but since I seem to collect oranges and pinks they all coordinate pretty well.  Tossed that green bit in as an afterthought, just for a color punch.  The background for all my blocks will be Kona Cotton in White.  


January's Blocks
I'm excited to put all 20 blocks together and see how this quilt looks!

I also spent 55 minutes (yes, less than an hour) making the Easiest Tunic Ever.  It's real name is McCalls Pattern 6244, view D.  See, I'm loving the leggings with boots fashion trend because it's oh-so-comfortable, but my wardrobe is severely lacking in tops that cover my rear.  Being a woman over a certain age (ahem, 35) I probably shouldn't let that hang out.    This pattern is for a basic hip-length knit top with optional drapey things to layer over them.   Once I find a pattern that fits well, I can whip out a whole seasons worth of tops.

M6244
This pattern meets the being-easy criteria, but fit is a different story.   It's HUGE!  I made my size according to the pattern measurements, but the thing hung off my shoulders like a tent.  One quick swipe down each side seam with the serger removed the extra bulk (about 3" from each side from armpit, tapered in to 5" down at the waist, then flared out again at the hips) and it fits much, much better.  My alteration won't win any fashion awards, but it's comfortable, took less than an hour, and cost about $3 in knit found in the clearance bin.

No comments:

Post a Comment