Monday, January 28, 2013

A Chicken Walks Into a Bar...

The other day my neighbor friend called and suggested we leave the children with our spouses and go out for an evening of margaritas and drunken clearance shoe shopping at Von Maur.  Obviously, I was all over that plan.  We had a fabulous time not only trying on shoes, but also sampling ridiculously-priced perfumes and later stalking the clearance end-caps of Target.  What can I say...we are who we are.

She also took me to her her favorite little vintage resale shop, where I found the most fabulous treasure.

At $5.99, who could resist?

I had never seen such a thing, but it was love at first sight.  No idea why.  Up until that day I would have told you chickens are not my thing.  But one look into his beady little black eyes and I was a goner.

I brought him home and gave him a little chicken-makeover, and now he is perched happily on my desk.

Meet Crochet Chicken!
He makes a fabulous crochet caddy.  My most favorite hook sizes fit perfectly in the tail slots, along with some fun scissors   The front pouch is just right for stitch markers.  We were meant to be together.

A quick internet search tells me these kitchen chickens were all the rage in the 1950's, and the little pocket in front is a ring holder!   So clever.  I have no idea why the measuring spoons he came with are classic 1970's-era.  I wonder if he originally had a set of spoons, or if these were sold for you to add your own.  Not that it matters because he's much cuter this way anyhow.

No comments:

Post a Comment