Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Oh-so-cozy Sweaters!

Just before Christmas I finished a couple of sweaters.  This one is my new favorite - the fit is perfect and the yarn is fabulous.  It's 50% cotton and 50% acrylic, which makes it machine washable yet cottony soft.



This is the Tall Latte pattern by Doris Chan, from her Everyday Crochet book.  I believe it's been said before, but just in case you missed it:  Best Pattern Book Ever.  Order one.  

My dear husband gave me hot pink bamboo yarn for Christmas.  He's so perfect.  I love this pattern so much that I slammed out another one using the new pink yarn.  But when I washed it the first time, three of the joins released and resulted in holes!  Curse you, Magic Joining Method!  Curse you!  I suppose some of the blame lies with me, since bamboo yarn is really slippery stuff.  I should have anticipated the join wouldn't hold.  But I didn't.  And it didn't.  And I had to unravel the whole darn thing.  *sigh*  I will remake it.

I also made a black bamboo cardigan in December.  This one is my Office Sweater.  My home office is in the basement and I swear it's 20 degrees colder down there than the rest of the house.  



The front edges are even in real life.
Just change my name to Ilene because I never stand straight!
 
This is a free pattern, called the Chevron Lace Cardi.  If you can do a double crochet stitch, you can make this cardi.  It's very easy and ideal for a beginner to tackle as their first sweater.  Modifications I made include additional length and a larger edging around the neck and down the fronts.  I'm thinking of using the leftover yarn to make a simple belt.  

My son wants a sweater now.  Blue, with orange cuffs and ribbing.  Do you know how hard it is to find a pattern for a boy's sweater?  Ridiculous!  Just about everything in crochet is girly, probably because the stitches are open and lacy by nature.  Since I can't send him off to school in a girl sweater and have him get beat up, I started designing again.  This pattern will be simple with masculine, straight stitches.  Raglan sleeves with exposed, rustic seams.   I just might even publish it!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment