Wednesday, December 19, 2012

A blizzard is coming!

And it's about time!  After the non-winter last year, I'm ready for a Real Winter Storm.  Just in time for Christmas, too.

Lots of snow also means lots of hats!  I do love hat making.  It's about as close to instant gratification you can get in the world of handmade.  A simple hat can be completed in the time it takes to watch a movie with the family.  (Well...they watch.  I crochet.  And glance up at the screen from time to time and try not to miss any important parts.)

Recently my husband found this picture somewhere on the Interwebs.

It just oozes awesomeness.

And he jokingly said," I want one of these!"  At least I think he was joking.  Not sure on that.  Either way, the take home message here is Never Ever Joke About Goofy Crochet Projects with a Crocheter, because you never know what they might do when left alone with hooks, yarn, and a 2-hour block of time.

Yeah, that's my husband.
Absolutely it's hinged and functional!

And, he actually wears it.  In public.  Like, to stores and stuff.  He's a good man.  (on a related note, today is our 14-year anniversary.  Go us!)

I have no idea who the original designer of this Knight Hat is, but whoever you are, thanks for the inspiration!

My daughter also got a new hat this season, because I had some hot pink and white sparkly yarn hanging around that matched her coat.  I made this one weeks ago but I kept forgetting to snap a photo when she's home to model it.

So, I asked the cat to model it instead.
Hey lady, I don't recall signing a modeling contract.

Teddy Bear is more cooperative.  He refused to smile though.
Simple staggered shell stitch pattern

Love the big flower and button detail.

My daughter is also a crafter in her own right.  This weekend, after listening to hours of the "I'm soooo boooorred!" wailing, she made an owl from some fabric scraps.  I cut the pieces; she stitched it together and stuffed it.  This is a pattern I found at a delightful quilt shop in Wichita, KS.  The designer has a blog, here, and she has other stuffed creature designs.  They're really easy and fun to make.

Meet Olive the Owl


Between now and Christmas, I'm going to try and finish the Kitty Couch (just about done!) and a last minute sweater for me.  Because I'm always cold.  More to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment