Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Arctic

Isn't is odd how 55 degrees in October feels very different from 55 degrees in March?

If it were March, we'd be shedding clothes right and left, and parading around in t-shirts and flip-flops, proclaiming the virtues of such a wonderful spring day!

But it's October and the sky is dreary and dull.  The leaves are almost past their colorful beauty, and I'm cold.  Oh so cold.  I swear the older I get the harder it is to keep warm.  Last week (before caving to the chill and turning on the furnace) I wore mittens and socks to bed.  Husband thinks I'm nuts.

And there's nothing like a good cold wind to make a person crochet faster.  After holding your frigid fingers under hot water so they have feeling again, that is.  Must. Make. Sweaters.


I finished up this sweater a couple of days ago, and while I wasn't sure about it at first, it's grown on me.  Originally I had planned to make this into a lighter, airier layering piece.  But the gray yarn wouldn't have it, and it demanded to become a thick and cozy sweater, sweatshirt style.

The pattern is not mine.  It's called No Sweat by Doris Chan, and it's from her Everyday Crochet book.   Her designs are fast too.  This one took about five days, working just a few hours each evening.

The yarn does that subtle stripy stuff all by itself (open bag, let out cat) making this look much more difficult than it really is.  Unfortunately, the yarn was discontinued a few years ago.  I was lucky and won 8 skeins of it on ebay.  That's the only place to find it these days and it doesn't come up very often.  If you want to start stalking the auctions, it's called Caron Simply Soft Shadows, and they made it in lots of different colors.  Just don't bid against me. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment