Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Foreigners

I have no idea who the Bavarians are (were?) or why they have their own crochet technique, but I thank them nonetheless.  Sure, I could Google it.  But it's late and I'm tired.

Looking for crochet inspiration last week, I wandered the crafting selections at the library.  I found a wonderful book called Learn to do Bavarian Crochet.  It uses standard universal crochet stitches, but combines them to make this unique pattern. 


It looks much more complicated than it really is.  If you can make a treble crochet stitch, you can do this.  I have four skeins of wool blend yarn leftover from baby boy #1 afghan, so I'm using it up in this fun little project.  It might be baby boy #2 afghan if it's large enough.  If not, maybe a table topper, or I'll attach a fabric back and turn it into a pillow or something.  

Here's a closer picture of the delightful textured stitch pattern.  Ignore the tails.  It's a work-in-progress and I just d-r-e-a-d sewing in tails.  Gotta put that off as long as possible.


The backside is pretty too, in flat diamond shapes.


Kudos to the Bavarians!

No comments:

Post a Comment