Wednesday, April 27, 2011

It's Harvest Time in the Cabbage Patch!

Four women in my family are either pregnant or recently gave birth. Winter was pretty mild, so I have no idea what happened nine months ago to start this little baby boom but the results are starting to appear!

The gender of all these babies has not been revealed, so I've been stitching up blankets and afghans with whatever colors make me happy.  Last night I finished up Baby Boy #1 afghan. 



What a beast!  Afghans for boys are sooooo difficult, because every stitch I like looks ridiculously feminine when paired with boyish colors.  The scallops and swirls and lace I'm drawn to just don't work.  This particular yarn was crocheted into SIX different designs before I settled on this one.  Luckily my husband finds pure joy in frogging a project (frogging = ripping apart in knit/crochet world.  I have no idea why), so while I agonized over crochet internet forums and stitch guides looking for something suitable, he calmly dis-assembled the work in progress and wound the yarn into balls for me.  Gotta love him.



The pattern is a free one from Caron Yarns, called Cerulean Harmony.  I made my border a tiny bit narrower, and I added a picot edging just for fun.  The checkerboard part is true to the pattern as written.  The yarn is Snowflake Wool Blend blend from Hobby Lobby's Yarn Bee brand which is a mix of 56% wool and 44% polyester.  It's snuggly warm because of the wool, but soft and machine washable because of the polyester.  Colors are Limelight and Orangeade.

Oh, and I decided the rest of the babies (should they be boys) will get booties or hats.

No comments:

Post a Comment