Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Never-Ending Afghan of Doom has been Conquered.

It all started on November 15, 2011.   An event with such happiness, such promise of beauty.  And then the day arrived when I couldn't bear to look at the thing any longer, so I put it in hibernation.

The 2012 summer Olympics arrived, and again the afghan emerged to the light of day.  I had a quest!  10 days to finish the thing and win a virtual gold medal.  Could I do it before closing ceremonies?

No.

The task was too big, too daunting.  I failed.  Hanging my head in shame,  I rolled the afghan up inside a quilt and stuffed it into the closet like an unappetizing burrito.

Until two weeks ago.  The kids went back to school and things started to feel a bit like fall.  From somewhere unknown a burst of optimism and energy emerged, and I dragged that thing from the closet depths like a crazed woman.  This time, I was determined to finish it.

And yesterday, I did.


If I ever, Ever, EVER start making noise about a motif-based afghan again, I need you all to come over here and start beating me with sticks.   No matter how beautiful the end product is, it's not a good idea to make 24 triangles, 35 squares, and 48 octagons all separately, sew them all together (honestly, this is the part that's truly dreadful), and then put on a border.

But it's done, and I did earn a medal after all, of sorts.  I'm giving myself a medal for Longest Project Ever, coming in at just under two years from start to finish. November 15, 2011 - September 3, 2013.  Whoa.









No comments:

Post a Comment