Sunday, September 15, 2013

Despicable Bathrobe

We've had some unexpected expenses lately, so I put myself on a self-imposed yarn diet.  It's not so bad though, forcing myself to use yarn from the stash.  There are only oh....14 sweaters worth of yarns in there.

I also am on a quest to either finish WIP's (works in progress) or rip them out and use the yarn for something else.  Ripping out is where this purple yarn came from.


In it's first life it was an afghan.  I bought it thinking the long stripes of color would be so pretty as an afghan, but it just wasn't working out.  The yarn is fickle.  It's boucle, so you can't see the stitches well at all, making it hard to do any sort of detailed pattern with it.  So the unfinished afghan was stuffed into the closet in a time out.

When the weather turned a bit cold, I starting dreaming of a longer-length coat/jacket/sweater thing.  Something that could be tossed over anything for those days when it's chilly, but I don't want a full coat.  This pattern is by Doris Chan and can be found in her book Everyday Crochet.  The original pattern has a shawl collar, one of those that flips back and rolls slightly.  I love the look of shawl collars but this yarn wouldn't have it.  I did a simple single crochet edging instead, and it really shows off the striping in the yarn nicely.



 My son wanted to know why I was crocheting a bathrobe.  For weeks I've held firm that this is NOT a bathrobe, it's a coat-jacket thingie.  But now that it's finished and I see myself modeling it there, I concede that it does, in fact, look very bathrobe-y.


Whatever.  I'm wearing it anyway.  I'll be that weird lady at the grocery store buying cat food in her "bathrobe."

In other news...

My kids have been obsessed with Despicable Me for months, more so since the sequel came out July.   All over the internet are pictures of the minion cupcakes.  I caved and bought the twinkies and the kids made these today.  My 10-year-old did the faces.  I think she did a great job.  Piping frosting isn't the easiest skill to learn.



If we try this again we will use black instead of brown coloring.  There needs to be more contrast between their features and the color of the twinkie.  They're delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment