Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Fred Rogers Cardigan

Hello neighbor.

Mr. Rogers has a special place in my heart.  I grew up watching him on TV.  He was kind, he never got his feathers ruffled over un-neighborly behavior, and he took his viewing audience on wonderful field trips to see how stuff was made. 

Reruns were still on TV when my daughter was born.  When she was old enough, I excitedly introduced her to the Neighborhood of Make Believe and all the other wonderful characters in the 'hood.  She didn't care.  She actually thought it was kind of slow-paced and boring.

Whatever.  Kids these days don't know what's cool.

It's getting cold here, so I've been thinking sweaters. 


This cardi began as the Japanais Tunic by Amy Swenson.  Beyond the basic stitch pattern, it doesn't really resemble her original much anymore.  I added extra rows to make it longer, changed it from pullover style to zippered cardigan, and re-worked the neckline to make it fit me more snugly.


I like how the stitches go from dense to mesh 2/3 of the way down.  Gives it nice detail.


The next sweater is already underway.  I'm happily hooking along on the Circular Motion Pullover, a freebie from the Lion Brand Yarn website.  It was originally designed for men, but I'm using a lighter weight yarn and smaller hook to make it woman-sized.  Hopefully.  :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment