Saturday, January 18, 2014

Ok lady, get it together.


Ah, January.

The month when new resolutions shape the way we organize our lives for the year ahead, only to admit defeat by February first and pull the covers over our head and scream make it stop!

This year I lowered the bar.  The only "resolution" I made was to stop buying Diet Pepsi.  Not for any health reasons or gibberish like that (although that stuff certainly can't qualify as health food) but because I'm just so dang cheap.  Soda is going for $4 a 12-pack!   Plus a new Aldi grocery store opened near me and they don't even sell Diet Pepsi, so at least it can't leap into my cart when my back is turned like the chocolates do. Oh those sneaky chocolates.

I also decided to organize a bit because the crafting area was getting completely out of control.  It's been a week-long process, but I've cleaned out all the cupboards and drawers.  The yarn side of things is looking good.  All the evil wool yarns (which I bought before I realized that wool and I are never going to be BFF's, ever) is ready to donate to Goodwill. The lovely bamboos are living together in one cozy space, and the acrylic and cotton blends are happily co-habitating on the lower shelves.



Brace yourselves.  I had no idea there were so many fabric remnants stuffed into this until I dumped them all out for sorting.


Many of these are tiny little scraps not suitable for much of anything, so with the help of my dear son (he's my little Iron Worker, pressing each piece perfectly) I'm trimming each scrap into as many 2" wide strips as possible.  For now, they're all going in a bin.  Eventually I'll put these together into a scrappy quilt-as-you-go project.  Never tried the technique, but it looks intriguing!

Uhhh...I might need a bigger bucket.

So with the cleaned up space, it was time to add some embellishments.  Michaels has many styles of wooden letters.  Six fabric scraps + wooden letters = Easy.  I'll do a separate blog post with a tutorial for how to make these. 






Happy new (organized) year everyone!




No comments:

Post a Comment